Hygiene of the feed chain authorisation consortium
The purpose of the FEFANA “Hygiene of the Feed Chain Authorisation Consortium” – FEFANA HYFAC in short – is to establish co-operation among interested parties in order to apply for the authorisation of feed additives of common interest in line with the provisions of Reg. (EC) No 1831/2003 and in particular with reference to Article 6.3 which mentions that ‘as a result of technological progress or scientific development, the Commission shall establish additional categories and functional groups’.
FEFANA HYFAC’s activities aim at achieving the following:
- to develop common understanding on the details of the information necessary to achieve the authorisations;
- to collect and review existing scientific data;
- to develop standardized trial protocols;
- to commission and manage the implementation of new studies as required by the EU assessment procedures;
- to gather industrial data necessary to achieve the authorisation;
- to develop common authorisation dossiers (or part of);
- to submit application in name of the grouping and act as a contact and negotiation interface with the EU authorities in the course of the authorisation process.
As a result of the dossiers submitted by FEFANA HYFAC, a new functional group was added to Category “1” (Technological Additives) by the Animal Nutrition section of the European Commission’s Standing Committee on Plants, Animals, Food and Feed in July 2015 – Functional group “n”: Hygiene Condition Enhancers, defined as: ‘substances or, when applicable, microorganisms that favourably affect the hygienic characteristics of feed by reducing a specific microbiological contamination’.
The interest of FEFANA HYFAC is limited to the list of feed additives the Consortium members agreed to jointly work on. The selection of the feed additives included into this list was based on a set of criteria which are detailed in the Consortium’s code of internal rules. FEFANA HYFAC does not work on additives that are not included in its own working list.
Within the limits established by the Belgian law as well as other applicable competition laws not limited to the legislation of the European Community, the FEFANA HYFAC may also carry out other activities necessary to facilitate the achievement of its goals.
For more information, please contact FEFANA Secretariat.
- Andres Pintaluba