About the industry
Specialty feed ingredients are incorporated into feedstuffs and enter the food chain when fed to animals at farms. These ingredients are intentionally added in small quantities to feed in order to exert specific functions (e.g. nutrition, flavouring, preservation – learn more).
Where we are active
Substances, micro-organisms or preparations which are intentionally added to feed or water in order to perform one or more of the functions described in Article 5 of Regulation (EC) No 1831/2003 on additives for use in animal nutrition
Functional feed ingredients
Functional feed ingredients are feed materials as defined in Regulation (EC) No 767/2009, which, are used in feed or water for drinking in order to perform one of the following functions: micronutrition, technological, sensory, zootechnical.
Premixtures are mixtures of feed additives or mixtures of one or more feed additives with feed materials or water used as carriers, not intended for direct feeding to animals.
Specialty mixtures are compound feed composed of a mixture of functional feed ingredients containing or not feed additive(s).
As defined in Regulation (EC) No 767/2009, feed materials are products of vegetable or animal origin, whose principal purpose is to meet animals’ nutritional needs, in their natural state, fresh or preserved, and products derived from the industrial processing thereof, and organic or inorganic substances, whether or not containing feed additives, which are intended for use in oral animal-feeding either directly as such, or after processing, or in the preparation of compound feed, or as carrier of premixtures.
A mixture of at least two feed materials, whether or not containing feed additives, for oral animal-feeding in the form of complete or complementary feed as defined in Regulation (EC) No 767/2009.
Learn more about product classification on our dedicated page.
What the specialty feed industry offers today
- Innovative nutritional management techniques and improved feed technology
- Proximity and services
- Adaptation to market changes
- Anticipation of market demand
- Feeding management approaches
- Feed additives to supplement feeds with essential micro-ingredients for animal well-being and improved efficiency
How the specialty feed industry can shape the future
- Establishing closer links to suppliers to optimise the safety, sustainability and nutritional value of feed ingredients
- Increasing the use of co-products from other industries and former foodstuffs
- Integrating animal production sustainability parameters in formulations
- Adapting techniques to check the integrity of deliveries
- Developing customised feeding strategies; taking into account the variability and availability of feed ingredients and animal living conditions on farms
Benefits of specialty feed ingredients
Contributing to the nutritious quality of the final animal products